Monday, May 5, 2014

Thoughts on Churches and Building Community

Hi there! 

Per usual, finals weeks has come along and instead of studying I am pursuing other deep thoughts that have been simmering all semester. I'm pretty sure this happens every semester! 

I have a wonderful friend here at college who is such a strong Christian, grounded in faith and Christian leadership. We don't get to have deep chats often, but when we do, they are awesome. She is one who asks very forward, thought provoking questions. 

Since I am getting married in 97 days (AHHH!!!) the question of whether or not to change churches has come up. I absolutely love the church that my fiance and I attend each week. Since I came to this college, it has been a place that I look forward to going to every Sunday. So of course, why would we leave? We both love it. 

But my friend asked me a very good question, "Are there people at (name of church) that consistently are pouring into you, who are holding you accountable, and pushing you in your faith?" My answer was definitely not. While this church is a place that I love so dearly, it is not a place where I have been able to truly build a community of strong Christian friends who can pour into me and I can pour into them. And I want that. Looking back at my prayer journal, I have continuously been praying for God to bring a fellowship of Christian friends into my life. I have this expectation that if someone wants to be my friend, they should approach me and seek me out. Ha, and maybe that's why I don't have a million friends.  

Another problem with this church is that the large majority of its members are college students, so unlike us they are not married. I feel like as a young married couple, we need strong Christian couples to be in community with and who can be a model for a Christ-centered marriage. 

Just my thoughts, feel free to share yours! 

Love, 

LHDK

No comments:

Post a Comment